Monday, September 11, 2006

God Bless America

Ok, now I'm sure that everyone has heard their parents or someone else say "I remember exactly where I was the day..." Maybe it was Pearl Harbor or the day John F. Kennedy was shot or when they played White Christmas in Vietnam (that was the signal to evacuate). I never thought there would be something to happen in MY lifetime for those words to come out of my mouth.

Then came September 11, 2001. I can tell you exactly where I was, what I was doing, that entire day. I was up early, Kaylie was only 11 months old at the time. I had worked out and had come in and sat down on the couch to watch tv. When I turned it on, the 1st plane had already hit. Of course, nothing along the lines of terrorism even crossed my mind. I didn't live in a country capable of being penetrated by anyone. As I was watching what I though was news of a random plane crash, I saw the 2nd plane hit. I was in shock, I still didn't really understand what was going on. I knew this couldn't be just a coincidence, but terrorism still hadn't crossed my mind.

As I'm watching this horrible scene unfold on live tv, they announce a plane has hit the Pentagon. Ok, the Pentagon, for me at least, represents all that is strong and impenatrable in our country. You just can't get to the Pentagon. I knew that was were all of our military and intelligence headquarters were located. At this point I am incredibly scared. All I can think is we are under attack. If they can get the Pentagon, they can get anywhere.

I just sat there, on my couch, watching the Twin Towers and the Pentagon burn. As I sat there, I started thinking, how long can they burn before they fall, not knowing that this was to be the inevitable outcome. Then, it happened, they fell. I can't tell you how much I cried that day and others to follow. My entire world and how secure I felt in it had just been destroyed.

My kids will never get to experience pre-9/11 life like we did. All they will ever know is post-9/11 and the paranoia and security issues and the elevated security levels and war.

But, maybe it for the better that this is all they will know. They will not lose the innocence that I and so many others lost that day.

Once thing that was good about that day, was how it brought us together as a country, a united people, and continues to do so. Everyone will remember 9/11/01 in different ways and some will only know as much as they read in a school book. But hopefully, my kids will be as proud of the priviledge to live in this county as I always will.

I kept several newspaper editions from 9/11/01 and the following days and perhaps when my kids are older they will read them and learn just a little bit more about what happened.

God Bless America

1 comment:

Silly Hily said...

That was very good.
I don't even think I knew what terrorism was before 9-11.