Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Safe Haven Laws

Ok, I am all for the Safe Haven laws that we have in this state. But, I guess, being a mom myself, I just don't understand how someone can walk away from their own child. Then again, I have never found myself an teenage, unwed mom either. What makes me angry about the law is not the law itself, but the fact you never hear about until some child winds up dead. Just yesterday, a woman dropped a newborn baby off at a fire station in midtown and she is one of the few that actually use the law. She had faith that she would not be in trouble and that that baby would be taken care of. The first thing I saw about it made it sound like the police were not sure if they were gonna press charges against her or not because a fire station is "not technically a safe have". That was the biggest bunch of bullshit! She could have done what that other young mother did last month, which was, give birth and bury her baby in the woods. Instead she at least cared enough to be sure the baby at least has a chance at life, whether she could or wanted to take care of it or not. Like I said, I have never been in a situation like that, but this is how I feel about it. I think there should be a larger effort to educate women about this law so that these innocent children have a chance. Ok, I feel a little better now. How bout you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!!

Anonymous said...

I have got to agree with you on that one!

Anonymous said...

i think the baby safe haven law is just another form of birthcontrol for birthmoms

Anonymous said...

i feel the baby safe haven law just gives the birthmoms a right to no responsabilities to bad there isnt a law for not wanting resbalities for other things like i dont want go to work so i will just do nothing law no resposabilty law

Anonymous said...

i think birthmoms who dont want to raise there kids and give them up for adoption are lazy f asholes

Anonymous said...

i think if a birhtmom wanted to give a child up for adoption she should have realized that before she got pregnant just lazy people

Anonymous said...

i dont think children should be denied of ther family history just because bithmoms want the right to give ther child up for adoption